Soft Molasses Cookies were always a favorite when we went to Grandma’s. They are sweet without being overwhelmingly so and go perfect with a glass a milk, like most cookies out there.
1 C Crisco
1 C Sugar
1 C Molasses
1 C Sour Cream
4 tsp. Baking Soda
6 C Flour
2 tsp. Ginger powder
2 tsp. Cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Salt
1. Cream together Crisco and sugar.
2. Mix together sour cream and molasses. 3. Add baking soda
4. Add sour cream mixture to Crisco mixture
5. Add remaining dry ingredients (flour, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt) and add to the wet ingredients.
6. Chill dough as long as you can stand to wait, usually 1-2 hours. If it is too difficult to roll out, chill it longer, or put it between two pieces of plastic wrap while rolling it out. This trick also works incredibly well if you are working in a hot and humid kitchen.
7. Roll out the dough and cut with cookie cutter of your choice (traditionally they were always round)
8. Bake at 375 for 8 minutes.
And since every post is better with a picture, here is me and the famous Grandma Louise at lunch last week. She lives too far away, and so we don’t see her often, but every time I’m with her I’m reminded of why I have so much to be thankful for in the heritage she has laid for us all.