I would love to say at this point that I have a beautifully completed quilt that went smoothly and I humbly must admit that I am a master quilter. But, that’s not the case. To tell you the truth, I haven’t even started. I’m three patterns in, and have reduced the number of Indian fabrics I’m using from 10 to 3.
(the original fabric choices…only the front pink/purple-ish one made the final cut this time)
On a positive note, the whole soaking the fabric thing has worked amazingly! In case you don’t know about soaking fabrics to set the color here is the deal:
For fabrics that are likely to bleed like the very popular neon colors, or the every classy white and navy stripes which causes perpetual-laundry-confusion-no-matter-how-many-times-I-have-washed-it, there is a great way to “set” the fabric dye. Here’s what you do:
In a large bowl, take about a gallon of water and add 1/2 C epson salt and 1/2 distilled white vinegar. Wet your fabric or clothing item, and place in the salt/vinegar/water solution. Allow to soak for 1 hour. Repeat until the fabric doesn’t bled any longer and the water is clear. Then wash like normal.
Like I said, I’ve been incredibly impressed with how it has worked on the Indian fabrics, some of which bled a lot! Sarabeth is planning on trying it on a new pair of pants, hoping that the color will stay better than in mine that I didn’t do this little trick with . . . and yes, we do have brightly colored pants in the same color, because we like to be like each other whenever possible! I’ll let her fill us in on if it works.
Actual quilt progress should be coming soon and I have finally gotten all but the backing fabric, and think I might actually start sewing tonight. I’m “writing” the pattern for this one, so if it is a success (meaning it’s fool proof, easy and looks decent) I’ll pass it your way!